• How do I get a recycling bin?
Call Environmental Services at 386-424-2476 to request a bin and one will be delivered to you.
• Can I have more than one bin?
You may get two bins per household. Any additional recyclable items can be placed in a separate container of similar shape/size or a grocery bag near or on top of your recycle bin for collection.
• What items can be recycled?Aluminum Cans
(See Below for a listing of other items that can be recycled in other ways!)
• When is recycling collected?
Recycling will be collected once a week on one of your garbage collection days. Click here to view a map
• When should I place my recycling container to the street/curb?
Bins MUST be out by 7:00a.m. the day of collection. Bins may be placed to the street/curb the evening before your regular scheduled collection day. All bins MUST be removed from the street area no later than 11:00p.m. on your collection day.
• Do you collect on holidays?In order to allow our employees an opportunity to spend holidays with their families, there are certain holidays that the City of Edgewater does not have collection services. Recycling schedules will follow City's schedules. Holidays observed are as follows:
New Year's Day
Martin Luther King Day
Day After Thanksgiving Day
• Should I remove the caps on plastic bottles?
Yes, please remove the caps from the bottles and place in bin separately. Removing the caps allows the bottles to be crushed more easily. The caps create a safety hazard during processing if not removed.
• Should I rinse out cans/bottles/jars/containers?
Yes, all containers MUST be rinsed out. Food will contaminate the load of recyclables.• Can I recycle any color bottles/jars?
You can recycle white, green and brown bottles/jars with or without labels.
• Do I have to flatten cardboard or cut into a certain size?
All cardboard, thin or corrugated MUST be flattened and placed in or under the bin. There is no need to cut the cardboard if it is too large for the collection truck they will leave it and have another truck collect it.
• Do I need to separate junk mail/mixed paper and newspaper?
Junk mail/mixed paper MUST be placed in a paper bag. Newspapers may be placed loose in your bin.
• What is thin cardboard?
Thin cardboard is basically any type of box. Here are a few examples: cereal boxes, cracker boxes, soda boxes, hamburger helper box, tissue box, toilet tissue roll, paper towel roll, Ziploc bag box, shoe box, or from your office it will be a paper clip box, staple box, binder box, or the back of your memo pad.
• Where can I recycle other items?1. Plastic bags should be returned to your local grocery store for recycling.
Here are a few non-profit thrift stores in the area:
• Goodwill Industries, 2984 S. Ridgewood Avenue, Edgewater, FL 386-428-2939
• People for Drug Free Youth, 1431 S. Dixie Freeway, New Smyrna Beach, FL 386-423-7911
• Hospice, 720 S. Dixie Freeway, New Smyrna Beach, FL 386-426-7308
• Habitat for Humanity, 722 S. Dixie Freeway, New Smyrna Beach, FL 386-428-5010
• How do I arrange to have someone speak to my organization or business about recycling?
• My question is not listed here, who can I call?
Southard Enterprises, Inc. (current recycling contractor) may be reached at 386-426-8858.